Cry, the Beloved Country
by Alan Paton
Cry, the Beloved Country Chapter 3 Summary
- The chapter opens with a lovely description of the train passing through the valley where Kumalo lives.
- But all you really need to know about the start of this chapter is that Kumalo is waiting for the train to Johannesburg.
- Oh, and he's worried about his sister's illness.
- There's a dude on the train platform with Kumalo, and soon enough he asks our guy a favor: can the reverend please check up on the daughter of a man named Sibeko?
- She's supposed to be working as a maid in Johannesburg, but she hasn't sent word back home in a while.
- Kumalo promises to see what he can do, so the man thanks Kumalo several times.
- Kumalo's just like, hey man, I'm happy to help someone in trouble—no worries!
- Inside, though, Kumalo is freaking out about all of his own family members (sister, brother, son) who have disappeared into the city.
- He settles down in his seat as the train sets off for Johannesburg.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...