Cry, the Beloved Country
by Alan Paton
Cry, the Beloved Country Chapter 4 Summary
- When Kumalo confronts Johannesburg's tall buildings, heavy traffic, and crowds of people, he gets too nervous to leave the station.
- A young man asks if Kumalo needs help, and guides him to a line for the bus. Then he offers to go and buy Kumalo's bus ticket for him.
- Yeah, we're so sure this guy has Kumalo's best interests in mind.
- Not so hip to how the big city really works, Kumalo gives the guy some money, and the young man disappears into the crowd.
- Poor Kumalo waits and waits in the bus line, but the young man never comes back. Yep, we saw that one coming.
- Then Kumalo approaches another older man, who breaks it to Kumalo that the young man cheated him.
- Luckily, this older guy knows the Reverend Theophilus Msimangu (the person who Kumalo is trying to meet).
- So he helps Kumalo to find Msimangu's church, where Msimangu welcomes him warmly. Things are looking up.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...