Cupid and Psyche
Cupid and Psyche Study Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why is Venus so jealous of Psyche? Does it make sense for the goddess of love and beauty to be jealous? Why or why not?
- What three tasks does Venus force Psyche to complete? How does Psyche accomplish them? Is it fair for her to get help?
- What does Psyche become the goddess of? Does it seem fitting?
- If Psyche is the protagonist of this story, who would you say is the antagonist? Why do you think so?
- Do you think it's fair for Cupid to expect Psyche not to be curious about what he looks like? Is it wrong for Psyche to take a peek? Why, or why not?
- Is there a moral to this story? If so, what is it? If not, explain why you think so.
- Compare and contrast this story to the fairytale of "Beauty and the Beast." What similar themes, plot events, and character types are seen in each? In what ways are the tales different?
- In what ways, can Psyche's struggles be seen as representing the struggles of the human soul?
- Compare and contrast Apuleius's version of the tale with another version like Thomas Bullfinch's.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...