The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Part 1, Section 2 Summary
- At the store, Mr. Button asks for some clothes for his new son, who is about six hours old.
- Roger refuses baby clothes on the grounds that his son is unusually large for his age. Looking through the boys’ department, though, he curses the store for not having clothes large enough for his son.
- He finally ends up buying a frilly-looking dress suit, to the clerk’s astonishment.
- Back at the hospital, Button’s son complains that the outfit looks silly. He doesn’t want to be made into a monkey (1.2.20).
- Mr. Button replies that he’s the one who’s been made a monkey of, so his son better stop complaining.
- After Button’s son gets dressed, he looks rather ridiculous. Mr. Button takes a big scissors and cuts off a chunk of his son’s long white beard.
- As the two of them leave the hospital, Mr. Button’s son wants to know what name he’ll have. His father suggests "Methuselah" for the time being.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...