The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Roger Button Timeline and Summary
- Roger heads to the hospital, excited to meet his new baby. On the steps of the hospital he meets with Dr. Keene, the family physician, who is flustered and angry.
- Mr. Button gets similar reactions from the staff inside the hospital.
- When he finally meets his son, the 70-year-old baby, he is equally distraught. He’s worried about the scandal that such a child will bring to his well-to-do family.
- Begrudgingly, Mr. Button goes to the store to buy his son some clothes. After some hemming and hawing, he finally settles on a frilly dress suit.
- After he takes his son home, Mr. Button decides to live in denial. He pretends his son is normal and makes him act as though he is in fact a baby.
- Mr. Button and his wife put their son in kindergarten, but have to remove him, as the activities are not age-appropriate.
- As his son approaches Roger’s own age, the two of them become closer. They work together at the family Hardware store and begin going out to social dances together.
- Mr. Button introduces his son to Hildegarde Moncrief.
- After his son is married and the hardware business is booming, Roger finally admires Benjamin.