The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Chapter 2 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- We know what you're thinking: "Chapter 2? What happened to Chapter 1?"
- But there is no Chapter 1. This book begins with Chapter 2. "But why?" you ask. We'll get to that, we assure you. "This is weird and confusing," you insist. And so we give you a nice cup of hot cocoa and tell you to relax, and just keep reading.
- Okay, so, Chapter 2. It's seven minutes after midnight and there's a dead dog lying on someone's front lawn, with a garden fork sticking out of its side.
- This is certainly a curious incident, finding this dog here in the night-time, wouldn't you say?
- But wait, that's just the first paragraph.
- Next, the narrator leans down beside the dog, and finds that it's still warm. The narrator knows this dog – his name is (or was) Wellington, and he belongs to his neighbor, Mrs. Shears.
- The narrator pets the dog and wonders who killed him, and why. Curious, indeed.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...