The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
by Mark Haddon
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Chapter 41 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- On the drive home, Christopher apologizes to his dad for making him pick him up at the police station, but he says he didn't kill the dog. His father believes him.
- Christopher brings up the idea of finding out who killed the dog, but his dad tells him to stay out of other people's business.
- When Christopher persists, his dad gets angry and starts banging the steering wheel with his fist.
- Finally, they get home: Christopher gives a carrot to his pet rat Toby and plays a computer game. Normal late-night stuff.
- At 2:00AM, he goes downstairs and finds his father is drinking whiskey, watching television, and crying.
- Christopher asks if he's sad about Wellington's less than happy fate. His father replies with this very curious response: "He looked at me for a long time and sucked air in through his nose. Then he said, 'Yes, Christopher, you could say that. You could very well say that'" (41.22).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...