Daniel Deronda Chapter 34 Summary
- Deronda arrives at the Cohens' home. They are extremely hospitable.
- Daniel trades pocketknives with Jacob.
- They all sit around the dinner table, and then Mrs. Cohen calls out, "Mordecai!" Daniel thinks that this is some sort of strange Jewish ritual.
- Except it's not. The man from the bookshop walks in to the room.
- Aside from a few prayers, everything seems to be totally normal about the dinner. They all make small talk.
- Mordecai asks Daniel about the book he bought and asks if Daniel knows German. We find out that he works at Mr. Ram's bookstore every day just during lunchtime.
- Then Mordecai asks Daniel if he knows Hebrew. Daniel says he doesn't. Mordecai looks disappointed.
- Mordecai leaves the table. Daniel asks the Cohens if Mordecai is their relative. They say that they let him stay with them out of charity.