by George Eliot
Daniel Deronda Chapter 34 Summary
- Deronda arrives at the Cohens' home. They are extremely hospitable.
- Daniel trades pocketknives with Jacob.
- They all sit around the dinner table, and then Mrs. Cohen calls out, "Mordecai!" Daniel thinks that this is some sort of strange Jewish ritual.
- Except it's not. The man from the bookshop walks in to the room.
- Aside from a few prayers, everything seems to be totally normal about the dinner. They all make small talk.
- Mordecai asks Daniel about the book he bought and asks if Daniel knows German. We find out that he works at Mr. Ram's bookstore every day just during lunchtime.
- Then Mordecai asks Daniel if he knows Hebrew. Daniel says he doesn't. Mordecai looks disappointed.
- Mordecai leaves the table. Daniel asks the Cohens if Mordecai is their relative. They say that they let him stay with them out of charity.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...