Daniel Deronda Chapter 39 Summary
- Everyone's hanging out at the Meyrick's house when there is a knock at the door. It's Klesmer, who has decided to save time by dropping in at their house instead of expecting a visit.
- Klesmer asks Mirah to sing. She sings from an opera. When she finishes, Klesmer tells her to sing some more. The Meyricks hate him for not showering Mirah with compliments.
- When Mirah finishes the next song, Klesmer tells her that she's a true musician. Mab starts crying because she thinks that's just so great. All of a sudden, everyone likes Klesmer.
- Klesmer tells Mirah that she's not meant for the stage, but that she should definitely sing for people at private parties. He invites her to sing at his house later that week. He invites Mab to come, too.
- Then Klesmer leaves. Mirah is so happy that she starts crying.
- Hans comes in. Everyone starts debating what Mirah should wear to Klesmer's party.
- They banter a little bit. Hans feels hopeful that Mirah might like him back.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search