by George Eliot
Daniel Deronda Chapter 58 Summary
- The narrator thinks about how much everything has changed in the last year since the Archery Meeting. Gwendolen had been proud and haughty, and now she's just a hot mess.
- Guess who's back? Rex! He talks with his dad about his future as a lawyer.
- Anna is also back from her trip to London, and she fills her family in on all the details. Everyone talks about the Meyricks. Then they all talk about Jewish people.
- Mrs. Davilow gets a message. She announces to everyone that Grandcourt has drowned. She sobs, but she also seems partially relieved.
- Mrs. Davilow says she will go meet Gwendolen.
- Rex goes off to sit by himself and let the news sink in. He can't help but think about the possibility of getting with Gwendolen.
- Rex decides he shouldn't make a move just yet – Grandcourt is barely cold, for crying out loud.
- He wonders if Gwendolen was actually ever in love with Grandcourt.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...