by George Eliot
Daniel Deronda Chapter 63 Summary
- Daniel returns from Genoa. He's been thinking about Mirah a lot. He doesn't love Gwendolen.
- Daniel really wants to see Mordecai. He decides to go straight from the train station to Mordecai's place.
- When he gets there, Daniel cuts to the chase – he tells them that he's discovered that he's Jewish. Of course, Mirah and Mordecai are thrilled. Mirah doesn't say anything, but she feels like a volt of electricity has gone straight through her.
- Daniel tells Mordecai that he'll take on Mordecai's work as his life's task. He still has a lot to learn, though.
- Daniel points out that something seems to be bothering Mirah.
- Mirah can't sleep when she goes to bed that night. She's thinking about Daniel, but she doesn't feel nearly as bad now as she did before.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...