Daniel Deronda Chapter 67 Summary
- Daniel goes to visit Mirah and Mordecai. He's surprised to see Mr. Lapidoth there.
- As Daniel leaves, Mr. Lapidoth guesses that Mirah is in love with him.
- The next time Daniel goes to visit, both Daniel and Mirah feel like Mr. Lapidoth's presence is like a wall between the two of them because he'll observe too much.
- Daniel goes to see Hans. Hans doesn't look so great. He tells Daniel that he's been smoking opium.
- Daniel reveals to Hans that he's learned that he's really Jewish.
- Hans tells Daniel that his mother already gave him the scoop. He asks Daniel if Gwendolen knows. Daniel says no.
- It also comes out that they're both in love with Mirah. Daniel is like, "Well, you and I can still be friends because neither of us will get her." Hans disagrees. He says that their friendship won't be able to bear the strain.
- Hans tells Daniel that Mirah is jealous of Gwendolen. He tells him to go get Mirah.
- Daniel thanks Hans and runs out.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...