David Copperfield Chapter 53 Summary
- David has to pause to recount the death of Dora.
- He sees Dora once again as though they were in their cottage once more.
- She has been sick for long enough that David doesn't really remember what she is like when she is well.
- Jip seems also, suddenly, very old.
- Dora never complains and is grateful for David and Miss Betsey's care.
- David sits with Dora and remembers times past, when they first fell in love with one another.
- He no longer carries Dora downstairs; she lies in bed all day now.
- Dora asks to see Agnes, and David promises to write to her immediately.
- David's wife asks if she misses him when he goes downstairs.
- And David promises that he misses her so much.
- Dora embraces David.
- She admits that she thinks she will never be well again.
- David doesn't want Dora to think like that.
- Agnes arrives and spends the whole day with Dora, David, and Miss Betsey.
- Finally, they are alone, and David sits holding Dora's hand.
- Dora wants to speak frankly to David, and she hopes he won't mind.
- She thinks she was too young when they were married – she thinks she was not fit to be a wife, because she was so inexperienced.
- Dora tells David that she has been very happy.
- At the same time, she is sure that David would have gotten tired of her as the years wore on.
- David feels that this is a reproach, but Dora promises it isn't, truly.
- Dora knows that David is very lonely.
- She sends David downstairs to fetch Agnes. She wants to speak to Agnes completely by herself, even without Miss Betsey.
- David goes downstairs and sends Agnes up.
- David weeps as he sits by the fire and remembers the arguments he and Dora had.
- Would it have been better if they never married, as Dora suggests?
- Jip whines to go upstairs, but David tells him not tonight.
- The dog lies down at David's feet and passes away.
- David looks up at Agnes.
- Dora has passed away as well, and David can't remember anything for a time.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search