by Paul Celan
Analysis: Shout Outs
When poets refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
- Book of Exodus 3:8 and the "land flowing with milk and honey" (lines 1-3)
- Faust by Wolfgang von Goethe (line 6)
- "Song of Songs" from Hebrew scripture and the Old Testament (line 16)
German Cultural References
- J.S. Bach and the fugue form (title)
- Richard Wager, German composer of The Mastersingers of Nuremberg (line 25)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...