What's going on in the rest of the book?
Death of a Salesman Requiem Summary
- Looking at her husband’s grave, Linda wonders why all of Willy’s friends and co-workers, by whom he was so well liked, didn’t come to the funeral.
- Biff says that Willy had the wrong dreams, that he never knew who he was.
- Charley and Bernard are at the funeral as well. Charley, still the good man, defends his dead friend, saying that part of being a salesman is about having a dream.
- Happy is mad and defensive. He embraces his father’s dream (the one Biff has rejected), and is determined to "come out number-one man."
- Linda can’t understand why Willy killed himself. She declares she had finally made the last payment on their house that day – they really own it now.
- She cries over the grave, repeatedly sobbing, "we’re free."