by Lauren Oliver
- Is Lena a strong character or a weak character, and why?
- What will happen to Lena without Alex?
- Lena seems to have no desire to change society, only to escape. Will she run forever, or will she ever try to change things?
- What would you give up in order to feel safe? What have you already given up? What would be going too far?
- Why does Lena's society ban certain books? How have they changed the meanings of stories that you know?
- Will Lena ever reunite with her mom? Would that be a good thing, or would Lena be better off apart from her?
- How do the quotes at the beginning of each chapter contribute to the novel?
- Would you want to live in Lena's world—a world without war or much conflict of any kind? Why or why not?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...