The Diamond as Big as the Ritz
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Diamond as Big as the Ritz Section 5 Summary
- After breakfast, John heads outside to survey the incredible landscaping around the house. There he encounters the most beautiful girl he's ever seen.
- She turns out to be Kismine, Percy's younger sister.
- John has always been turned off by flaws of any kind in any girl he's ever known; but Kismine seems absolutely perfect to him.
- As they chat, Kismine talks about her family. Her father has never punished his children for anything, she says, as he doesn't believe in it.
- Kismine talks about her older sister, Jasmine, who is coming out soon (as a debutante). Kismine herself, the younger sister, is heading to New York for finishing school in the Fall.
- The two of them flirt while talking, and it's clear that romance is blossoming.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...