The Diary of Anne Frank
by Anne Frank
Anne Frank Timeline and Summary
- Anne receives a diary for her thirteenth birthday and begins to record her daily life in it. She nicknames the diary "Kitty" and pretends that Kitty is her personal friend to whom she is writing.
- Anne goes into hiding with her family in July, 1942.
- Anne begins to record life as experienced in the Secret Annex. These events deal with the daily tensions, the ups and downs of relationships, fears of being discovered, burglaries (or imagined burglaries), problems with food and electricity and water, etc.
- Anne begins puberty. She has her period and falls in love with Peter van Daan, the teenage son of the other family who lives with the Franks in the Secret Annex.
- Anne is quickly disappointed in love. Although the relationship continues, she finds she cannot be intimate with Peter in the way she imagined she could be.
- Anne begins to grow up. She expresses hope for a better world and her belief in the goodness of humankind.
- Anne, with her family, is discovered by the police and sent to concentration camps.
- Anne dies of typhus in late February or early March of 1945, shortly before the liberation of the concentration camp she lived in.