The Diary of Anne Frank
Mrs. van Daan Timeline and Summary
- With her husband and son, Mrs. van Daan enters the Secret Annex a week after the Franks.
- Quickly, Mrs. van Daan reveals her true colors: she’s a trouble-maker. She likes to criticize Anne’s upbringing, fight with Mrs. Frank, flirt with Mr. Frank, hoard her own personal items and use the Franks’ instead (such as sheets), and complain.
- When Alfred Dussel arrives, Mrs. van Daan starts to flirt with him instead of Anne’s father. Mr. Dussel seems more receptive.
- Mrs. van Daan is jealous of Anne’s relationship with Peter.
- Like the others, Mrs. van Daan is sent to a concentration camp and does not survive.