The Diary of Anne Frank
The Diary of Anne Frank Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Consider the implications of the diary format. Are there any parts of the diary that you question? Which parts do you completely trust?
- Why is a diary an effective way to learn about World War II? What can you learn from a diary like Anne Frank’s that you can’t learn from other sources? What does a diary like Anne Frank’s leave out that you need other sources to learn?
- Why has Anne Frank’s diary had such a huge impact in the world? Did her diary have a strong personal impact on you as well?
- Why do you think the editors titled the book Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl? Do you think Anne would have preferred Secret Annex as a title?
- How do you feel about the fact that Anne’s diary was published considering the numerous very personal passages and harsh criticisms of people who later died? Otto Frank originally edited the diary to remove such sensitive portions. Do you think these sections should be edited out or that the diary as a whole should be available? Would you have a different opinion if we were discussing the publication of the book in the 1950s as opposed to now?