The Displaced Person
by Flannery O'Connor
Mr. Guizac Timeline and Summary
- Mr. Guizac arrives at Mrs. McIntyre's farm and moves in.
- He immediately begins working.
- Because of his hard work, the farm is beginning to prosper. He and his family seem to be doing better.
- Mrs. McIntyre sees him give something to Sulk.
- When she learns that that something is a photograph of Mr. Guizac's cousin, and also Sulk's fiancé, she confronts Mr. Guizac, warning him that he'll lose his job if he pursues the matter.
- For most of the rest of the story we only see him working.
- On one Saturday morning Mrs. McIntyre decides to fire him once and for all.
- She finds him working on a small tractor, his legs sticking out.
- Mr. Shortley begins driving a larger tractor towards the smaller one.
- When the break on the larger tractor, being operated by Mr. Shortley, slips, nobody warns Mr. Guizac that it's headed toward him.
- The tractor snaps Mr. Guizac's spine, and kills him.