The Displaced Person
Mrs. Shortley Timeline and Summary
- Mrs. Shortley marks the arrival of the Guizacs with suspicions.
- She begins to fear that Mrs. McIntyre doesn't need her or her husband anymore.
- As her insecurity increases, so does her fear of immigrants.
- She begins reading the Bible.
- Soon after, she has a prophetic vision of a mystical creature.
- Not long after that she overhears Mrs. McIntyre telling Father Flynn that she plans to fire the Shortleys.
- At Mrs. Shortley's insistence the Shortleys pack up their car and leave the farm.
- Then she has a stroke and dies.