by Veronica Roth
Divergent Chapter 1 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- We start Divergent by meeting Beatrice Prior, who has no Nintendo and only one mirror in her house—and that mirror is usually hidden. So we pretty much already know this is a terrible world. One we want no part of.
- Beatrice was born into the Abnegation faction, and though her family—mom, dad, slightly older brother Caleb—totally rock the Abnegation lifestyle, Beatrice isn't so great at it.
- As a 16-year old, Beatrice will take a test to show what faction she belongs in and then be able to choose her faction. Forever. So, no pressure.
- Beatrice and Caleb take the bus to school, while brave and crazy Dauntless kids take the trains that never stop.
- Before the faction aptitude tests, we get to see some kids ignore Beatrice—she doesn't have any friends—or bully her because she belongs to Abnegation. It's nice to know that, even after some disaster, schools haven't run out of bullies.
- Before class, Beatrice watches the Dauntless kids jump off the train, as she does every day. Maybe she likes their tattoos and piercings?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...