Divergent Chapter 24 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The next day, they find that Al has killed himself by jumping down the chasm.
- Tris feels a little guilty about this since she did reject his attempt to apologize. Tori gives her some tea to help her feel better; and Molly almost gets into a fight with her. Way to help out, Molly.
- But then Eric gets up and gives a speech about how courageous Al was to go face death. Tris thinks that's just plain dumb.
- Four tries to talk to Tris—preferably not near the hidden spy-cam the leaders have over the water fountain. (Great place for a spycam, right? Everyone goes to get water. It's like lions waiting at the watering hole for buffalo.)
- Four explains that he wasn't taunting Tris in chapter 13 (the knife-throwing chapter). He was telling her to be strong so that she could sacrifice herself for Al.
- Because she's stronger when she's acting selflessly.
- Four also tells her that he wants to frighten her because fear makes her alive. Well that sounds… serial-killer-like.
- And then he tells her that "guilt" should teach her to do better next time (even if it wasn't her fault). And that's totally an Abnegation lesson. Very interesting…
Next Page: Chapter 25
Previous Page: Chapter 23