Divergent Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Back in the boring, every-house-is-the-same Abnegation neighborhood, Beatrice thinks about where she belongs. She wishes she could belong, like her brother Caleb and the neighbor Susan that he flirts with (which is pretty hard when you're always wearing plain gray clothes. Imagine: "You look nice today in that gray outfit… that you wear all the time.").
- Caleb and Beatrice cook dinner together. Then Beatrice has to lie to her parents about how well the test went. The lying turns out to be easier than the test.
- But Beatrice isn't the only one who had a hard day: Beatrice's dad works in government and his coworker Marcus has been having a rough time at work lately because the Erudite leader Jeanine Matthews released a mean report about Abnegation.
- The report said that Marcus's son Tobias left Abnegation for Dauntless because Marcus was abusive.
- Here's where we learn that not all is well in future Chicago: Erudite has been badmouthing Abnegation for a while, as it turns out.
- And on top of that, for the first time ever, Caleb says something to Beatrice about thinking about themselves. So, quite an exciting day—too exciting for us.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...