Doctor Faustus Act 5, Scene 2 Summary
- The devils hover above the scene.
- Lucifer says that they have come to observe the goings on, and to wait for Faustus's soul.
- Mephistopheles says that although Faustus has attempted to escape his pact, his pleasures will be met with pain in the end. Seriously, Faustus, you thought you could get off scot-free?
- Faustus and Wagner enter. Faustus asks Wagner how he likes his will, to which Wagner replies that he likes it very much. As he should—he's getting all of Faustus's stuff, remember?
- Three scholars enter, and Wagner takes off.
- First Scholar tells Faustus he's not looking so good these days. In fact, Faustus looks downright ill. What's wrong, buddy?
- Faustus says that maybe if he had lived with the Scholars, he would have lived rather than dying eternally as he does now.
- Third Scholar thinks maybe Faustus has spent too much time by himself.
- Second Scholar thinks Faustus is just being overemotional, but Faustus assures him—he's damned. He has sinned too much.
- When First Scholar suggests that Faustus look to heaven for mercy, Faustus says that there's just no point. What he has done is unpardonable at this point. He's gone too far.
- He tells the Scholars that he has renounced God in favor of the devil once and for all. They are horrified, for obvious reasons.
- Why didn't Faustus tell them before, when they could have helped the guy?
- Duh. Because his fear of the devil kept him from naming God. Or at least that's what Faustus tells them.
- Well, they guess there's nothing left to do but pray, then. So they retreat to a nearby room to do so.
- Mephistopheles tells Faustus that he has absolutely zero hope of heaven, so all he can do now is despair and think only of hell.
- Faustus accuses Mephistopheles of tempting him from salvation. Gee, you're just now realizing that, Faustus?
- Mephistopheles agrees that he tempted Faustus: when Faustus took up the Scriptures, Mephistopheles led his eyes to the lines that would cause him to despair.
- He's a sneaky little devil, ain't he?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search