by Christopher Marlowe
Mephistopheles Timeline and Summary
- Mephistopheles first appears at Faustus's request and tells him that he can only be his servant if Lucifer agrees to it.
- Mephistopheles re-appears, bringing word that Lucifer has agreed to Faustus's proposal if Faustus will sign his soul over to him in a deed of blood.
- With the bloody contract signed, Mephistopheles teaches Faustus about the nature of hell and the devil, and about astronomy.
- Throughout the play, Mephistopheles threatens Faustus with bodily injury, or calls on other spirits to help distract him, whenever Faustus considers God, heaven, or repentance again.
- But he also does whatever Faustus wants him to, helping the magician conjure awesome things, perform great tricks, and taking the guy on a grand world tour.
- Along the way, Mephistopheles manages to turn some peasants, Dick and Robin, into an ape and a dog, respectively.
- After all their adventures, Mephistopheles confesses to Faustus that it was he who tempted Faustus away from God, by guiding Faustus's reading of the Bible the way he wanted.
- Sneaky, sneaky.