by Christopher Marlowe
Pope Adrian and Bruno Timeline and Summary
- The Pope sends his cardinals to pass judgment on the fate of rival pope Bruno and the Holy Roman Emperor who appointed him.
- Faustus and Mephistopheles, in disguise as these very same cardinals, spirit Bruno back to Germany, and then tell the Pope that his head must be cut off.
- Pope Adrian declares a banquet to celebrate the judgment.
- He becomes confused when his cardinals then claim that they have not yet given their judgment on Bruno, and that they certainly don't have him in custody.
- He sends the cardinals to heaven.
- Faustus torments the Pope by turning invisible and taking his food, drink, dishes, and cutlery.
- Thinking Faustus is a spirit ascended from Purgatory, the Pope has his friars perform an excommunication to banish him.