The Island of Dr. Moreau
The Island of Dr. Moreau Chapter 20 Summary
Alone with the Beast Folk
- Prendick uses his whip and revolver to convince the Beast Folk the Law still holds sway. Oh, and doing what Prendick says, that is also the Law.
- He has the three Beast Folk bury Montgomery and his fellow party goers in the sea.
- Hyena-Swine stumbles upon the scene. Prendick commands him to salute and bow, but Hyena-Swine asks, "Who are you, that I should…." (20.21). Prendick tries to show him, but the beast escapes into the forest.
- Prendick realizes two things. First, the Beast Folk will now begin to change back into animals without Moreau. Second, they now understand that men with whips can be killed.
- Prendick goes to the ravine. The Beast Folk give him food, and he falls asleep in one of their huts.