Dracula Chapter 7 Summary
Newspaper Article, August 8
- The chapter opens with a newspaper article about the great storm of August 8 that Mina had pasted in her journal.
- The newspaper describes the storm very vividly – the tone doesn't sound much like a modern newspaper.
- As the storm was getting really rough, lots of townspeople gathered on the hill above town to watch the strange ship that was coming into town.
- Everyone commented on how strangely it was being steered.
- The storm was getting pretty ridiculous.
- Everyone was afraid the ship would be sunk on rocks or would crash into the pier as it came into the harbor.
- When it got close, the people watching realized why it was being steered so haphazardly: the pilot was dead. He was just tied to the helm and kind of flopped back and forth with every wave.
- Miraculously, though, the ship made it safely to the beach.
- As it hit the shore, a big dog leapt out and disappeared.
Mina's Journal, August 9
- Mina learns that the strange ship is from Varna (a town on the Black Sea), and that its cargo was just a bunch of wooden boxes filled with dirt.
- No one ever found the strange dog that jumped out of the ship, although a lot of people looked for it.
- Mina gets permission from the Board of Trade inspector to copy down the log of the captain of the ship (translated from the Russian by a local clerk).
- The chapter continues with Mina's copy of the captain's log.
The Captain's Log
- The voyage starts out fine – they take on their cargo and leave as usual. The crew seems nervous about something, though.
- On July 16, one of the crew goes missing.
- On July 17, another member of the crew tells the captain that he saw a strange man on the ship.
- The captain thinks it is just superstition, but he has the ship searched anyway.
- On July 24, another man disappears.
- There was a big storm, and then another man disappears.
- At least they're getting close to England.
- On August 3, even the first mate starts acting weird – he claims to have seen something that he just calls "It," and swears he'll find it and kill it.
- The captain assumes the first mate has gone crazy.
- The first mate comes back out on deck and throws himself overboard.
- The captain finally believes that something is wrong – and he figures out what it is.
- He doesn't want to throw himself overboard, since he's the captain. So he ties himself to the helm with a rosary between his hands to keep "It" away.
- And so his log entries ended.
Mina's Journal, August 9 (continued)
- Mina says that the captain was going to be given a hero's burial in Whitby because he stayed at his post until death.
- Mina plans on watching the funeral procession.
Mina's Journal, August 8
- Lucy is sleep walking again – she got up twice during the night to get dressed, and so Mina kept having to get up and put Lucy back to bed again.
Mina's Journal, August 10
- The old man who had befriended Mina and Lucy is found dead at their favorite seat up on the hill above the town – his neck was broken.
- That was the day of the funeral procession for the ship's captain, which Lucy and Mina went to watch.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search