When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Peach Orchard Vow (2.39)
- Confucius (2.40)
- Lee the White (Li Po or Li Bai) (2.42)
- Lee the White [Li Po or Li Bai], "A Tranquil Night." This poem's title is translated in various ways, as is the famous poet's name and its transliterations. The poem's title does not appear in the book, but some of its lines translated into English do (2.43-49)
- E. Nesbit (6.122-124, 7.111, 13.4)
- Ned Buntline (7.114)
- Classic of Changes (I Ching or Yi jing) (2.51)
- Alfred Noyes, "The Highwayman" (10.65)
- E. Nesbit, The Phoenix and the Carpet (10.152)
Pop Culture References
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...