by William Faulkner
Henry "Hawkshaw" Stribling Timeline and Summary
- Hawkshaw tries to get the men in the barbershop to understand that further investigation must be undertaken prior to rash action.
- The men don't listen to him.
- He leaves the barbershop and finds McLendon and three other men preparing to look for Will.
- While riding to the ice plant, Hawkshaw continues trying to reason with the men.
- At the icehouse Hawkshaw participates in the initial beating of Will and in his abduction.
- Back in the car, Hawkshaw asks McLendon to stop and let him out.
- McLendon refuses and Hawkshaw jumps from the vehicle, in spite of Will's understated plea for his continued presence.
- Hawkshaw walks back toward town.
- When McLendon's car passes Hawkshaw hides, but can see that only four men are left in the car (meaning that someone, probably Will, was left behind).