by William Faulkner
John McLendon Timeline and Summary
- McLendon recruits men from the barber shop and drives with them out to the ice plant where Will works.
- Along with the other men, McLendon abducts Will and drives out of town with him.
- When Hawkshaw asks to be let out of the car, McLendon tells him to jump.
- After Hawkshaw jumps, we don't see him again until the end of the story when he arrives home at midnight.
- When he sees that his wife is still awake, he accuses her of waiting for him, and he grabs her roughly and throws her down.
- McLendon goes to his bedroom, gets undressed, and tries to wipe the sweat from his body.