by William Faulkner
Minnie Cooper Timeline and Summary
- Minnie, now almost 40, was popular as a girl, but despised as a young woman.
- Her friends all got married, but nobody proposed to her.
- When she was about twenty-six, she began dating a widower, a bank clerk.
- The town scorned her and labeled her an adulteress.
- Now she lives a bland life, made up only of shopping, walking and film watching
- On Saturday night, Minnie gets dressed to go to town with her friends.
- She seems nervous and shaky.
- As they walk to town she calms down.
- When they reach the town square she gets nervous again.
- She hears rumors of Will's situation, and feels men watch her with her eyes.
- In the movies Minnie begins laughing hysterically.
- Her friends take her home and try to quiet her down, especially when her laughter becomes intermingled with screams.