Cite This Page
Dry September Part 5 Summary Page 1
- McLendon gets home at midnight.
- His house is neat, and tiny, painted green and white.
- When he gets into the house his wife gets up from the chair in which she's been sitting.
- McLendon looks at her until she looks at the ground.
- He tells her to look at the clock.
- She's holding a magazine, and she looks tired.
- McLendon reminds her that he doesn't like it when she waits for him. He moves toward her, glaring.
- She says his name.
- He grabs her shoulder.
- She says she couldn't sleep.
- He hits her and at the same time throws her down on the chair.
- She watches as he walks out.
- McLendon takes his shirt off violently, using it to soak up his sweat.
- When he gets to the screened-in porch where they sleep, he takes his gun, and puts it on the table next to his bed, then takes off the rest of his clothes.
- Sweating fiercely, he uses the shirt again.
- He stands pushed up on the screen "panting" (5.7).
- Everything is quiet under the moon and stars.