The Eagle Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- "The Eagle" is a fragment, and Tennyson might have intended more to be written. How would you continue the poem? What would the eagle do next?
- Besides the "azure" blue of the sea and sky, what colors do you see in this poem?
- From whose perspective is the poem written? Does the poem change perspectives at any point?
- If the eagle thought like a person, what would he be thinking? Could you compose a monologue of his impressions?
- Does this poem have any kind of "moral" or ethical lesson? Does poetry need to have some theme or lesson to impart?
- How does gender play out in the poem? Why is the eagle a male? Would the poem be different if the eagle were a female?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search