Early American Immigration
Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching Immigration: Era of Open BordersTeacher Pass
Teaching Immigration: Era of Open Borders Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- American immigration history is marked by strong patterns. Native-born citizens resist the newest arrivals. These new arrivals assimilate and then join in the nativist resistance to the next group of immigrants.
- Will this pattern hold for the immigrants of the most recent phase (post 1965)?
- Will current Latin American and Asian immigrants assimilate as earlier Irish, Italian, and Slavic immigrants did?
- Are there differences between past immigrant groups and current?