Eclipse Chapter 12 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Despite the unknown danger of the intruder, a vampire army in Seattle, and a possible visit by the Volturi, Alice is determined to throw a graduation party. When she reminds Bella that graduation is a week away, Bella realizes that it means she's also going to be transformed into a vampire in a week: "I was out of time. And I wasn't ready… being human was all I knew" (12.27-32). She gets cold feet.
- Bella's fear is music to Edward's ears. He vows that he won't allow her to force her transformation for the wrong reasons. "You will have a choice… not because you are afraid" (12.55-57). For once, Bella agrees with him.
- When Bella expresses her fear that Edward might not be as attracted to her after her transformation, he acknowledges that there are some human things he'll miss about her, but that she'll always be "his Bella, just a little more durable" (12.96).
- Edward asks why Bella doesn't want to marry him. She explains:
"People don't just get married at eighteen! Not smart people, not responsible, mature people! I wasn't going to be that girl!" (12.116)
- Edward, on the other hand, looks at marriage in a very traditional way:
"I was 'that boy', who would have – as soon as I discovered that you were what I was looking for – gotten down on one knee and endeavored to secure your hand. (12.130)
- He reminds her that, if she wants him to change her instead of Carlisle, she'll have to bite the sour apple and marry him first.
- That night, Bella and Edward read in the newspaper that the killings in Seattle have accelerated. Edward decides they have to intervene. He needs to talk strategy with Jasper.
Next Page: Chapter 13
Previous Page: Chapter 11