by Stephenie Meyer
Eclipse Chapter 20 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Edward picks up Bella for her alleged two-day visit with Alice. They're excited to spend time alone together before the fight.
- Edward gives Bella a hand-me-down from his mother: a heart-shaped crystal that she fastens to the bracelet with Jacob's miniature wolf figurine.
- Bella has finally decided which human experience she's going to insist on before her transformation: she wants Edward to make love to her. He rejects her request. "Later, when you're less breakable" (20.139). She breaks down crying:
"But that's the problem. It won't be the same when I'm less breakable. It won't be the same! I don't know who I'll be then." (20.140)
- After much bartering back and forth, Edward promises that they will try, but that she has to marry him first, because he wants to protect his and her virtue in case he has a soul and therefore a shot at heaven. Bella thinks the time is now and that he's just trying to force her to marry him sooner.
- Edward promises that it doesn't have to be a big production. He suggests running off to Vegas. He shows his ring to her. It's also a hand-me-down from his mother. He convinces Bella to put it on and it fits like a charm!
- And how else could it be – Edward gets down to his knees and proposes. Of course, Bella says the right word: "Yes!"
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...