Eclipse Chapter 6 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Driving home from Jacob's house, Bella spots Edward's silver Volvo behind her. She's too chicken to face Edward's wrath over her transgression, so she keeps driving to Angela's house.
- At Angela's, Bella realizes how nice it is to be "just human" sometimes. When Angela notices that Bella looks troubled, Bella confides to her that Edward doesn't think Jacob is good company for her. Angela believes that Edward is just jealous and is "going to react like any other boy" (6.62).
- The two girls speak about their plans for the future. Bella feels torn about whether she should enjoy her last moments with her human friends, or cut the cord now to spare herself the pain.
- At home, Bella finds Edward in her room. Of course, he's furious:
"Do you have any idea how close I came to crossing the line today? To breaking the treaty and coming after you? Do you know what that would have meant?" (6.141)
- Bella has had enough of this whole "vampires-and-werewolves-are-always-enemies nonsense" (6.170). She says: "I am a neutral country. I am Switzerland" (6.173). That settles their argument. For now.
- When Edward goes on a hunting trip for the weekend, Bella promises Jacob she'll visit him. But Edward pays Alice off with a Porsche (check out our "Detailed Summary" of New Moon for details) to "kidnap" Bella for a "vampire slumber party" at the Cullen house for the entire weekend.
- Bella finds Edward's room remodeled. It now sports a colossal bed with sculpted metal roses winding around the frame. Instead of being enchanted by the fairytale, Bella feels manipulated.
Porsches as bribes and king-sized beds in houses where nobody slept – it was beyond irritating. (6.269)
- She grabs the pillows and covers off the bed and pulls them onto the couch to sleep, when Rosalie enters the room.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search