Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Economic PrinciplesTeacher Pass
Economic Principles Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- What are some examples of scarce resources?
- Which scarce resource do you think is the most valuable?
- Think of a the last important decision you made about how to allocate your time. What were your opportunity costs? Did you make the right decision?
- Imagine you are the governor of a state. You need to make a proposal for how to balance the budget. How do you manage the tradeoffs between equity and growth? What are examples of decisions will you need to make?
- Imagine you are graduating college and a new start-up company offers you $32,000 in salary and 10,000 stock options priced at .01 per share. You have another offer for a job at an established company for $50,000 in cold hard cash. What are the advantages of each and the potential opportunity costs?
- Should entrepreneurship be considered a factor of production? Why or why not?
- Determine your production possibilities frontier for studying and being on Facebook. What is the opportunity cost of an hour of each?
- Research the market share of Apple Computer over the last 20 years. How has their market share changed? Has their profitability changed as their market share changed?
- Research the market share of General Motors since the 1950s. What changed?
- Imagine you are the CEO of a corporation. You need to make a tradeoff decision between optimizing for market share and optimizing profitability. What factors might you consider?