Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Economic SystemsTeacher Pass
Economic Systems Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- Types of Economic Systems
- Which type of economic system do you support? Why?
- Which type of economic system is the most dangerous?
- If students have read George Orwell’s Animal Farm, do they believe it is a good example of the dangers of a command economy?
- In Israel, Kibbutzim are collectives that run according to the principles of a command economy. Evaluate their success.
- The Soviet Union failed due to unsustainable economic policies, not as a result of a political insurrection. Why do you believe that occurred?
- What is the ideal role of government?
- What parts of the economy should government never touch?
- Through the government, citizens are provided health services with Medicare and a financial safety net through Social Security during their retirement. Should the government be providing these services?
- The public sector has grown while the private sector has shrunk due to real economic conditions. How can the government be more aligned with its taxpayers?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of libertarianism?
- What are the strengths of Adam Smith’s thinking?
- What are the weaknesses?
- How is Adam Smith’s theory of the invisible hand relevant today?
- Where has a hands-off policy failed?
- Where has the government become too involved?
- How successful was Ronald Reagan in realizing his economic objectives?
- Why was he not completely successful?
- Did he undermine himself?
- Were parts of his economic vision obsolete?
- Did he misread the public’s priorities?
- Adam Smith and Lyndon Johnson were considered "liberals." Alexander Hamilton and Ronald Reagan were considered "conservatives."
- How similar were the economic ideas of the two liberals?
- How similar were the economic ideas of the two conservatives?
- What do your conclusions suggest about these labels?
- Has Obama effected change? In what ways? Have the changes been positive or negative?
- The Democrats passed health-care legislation even though more than 50% of Americans opposed it. Did they do the right thing? What were the positives and negatives?
- Is Barack Obama a socialist? Why or why not?