Chrysothemis Timeline and Summary
- Chrysothemis comes onstage and converses with Electra. She explains that their mother had a bad dream about Agamemnon, and sent her with libations for his grave.
- The two sisters argue about the best course of action with regard to their murderous mother. Chrysothemis makes it clear that she agrees with Electra – their mother and stepfather are guilty – but maintains that no good can come of snubbing them. She's a pragmatic gal, and she's trying to do what makes sense.
- When Electra orders her to put a lock of her own hair on Agamemnon's grave instead of the libations her mother sent, Chrysothemis agrees to do so.
- In other words, she's fine with rebellion, as long as she doesn't get caught.
- Chrysothemis returns later to Electra with fantastic news – Orestes is back. Apparently, she saw libations on Agamemnon's grave that could have only come from him, including a lock of his hair that she recognized.
- Chrysothemis is then distraught when Electra reveals that it couldn't have been Orestes, since he's dead.
- When Electra asks her to help kill the King and Queen, Chrysothemis refuses; but she does promise that she won't reveal Electra's plan to murder the royal couple.
Previous Page: Clytemnestra