by Gail Carson Levine
Ella Enchanted Chapter 13 Summary
- Ella creeps away from the finishing school before dawn. She trades the wig for supplies from a baker, and gets directions to Uaaxee's farm (or rather, to the giant farms somewhere to the north).
- She travels happily by herself. It's awesome, because no one is around to give her orders.
- Unfortunately, her supply of food doesn't last very long. She makes it to the edge of the elves' Forest just as she runs out, and meets an elf.
- All that language-studying comes in handy, because she's able to have a short convo with him.
- Turns out, the elf knows her father (potentially unlucky), but (luckily) realizes that Ella doesn't take after him.
- So, he takes her home and she parties with the elves for the night. They have green skin and mossy hair but are otherwise humanlike.
- They feed her mostly vegetarian dishes, and she shares her fairy tale book with them. This is a hit, because apparently reading stories about elves when you're an elf is hilarious)
- The head trader elf, Slannen, shows Ella some Agulen ceramics. They're gorgeous, and the elves give her a cup in the form of a wolf's head. She tries to refuse the gift because it's too valuable, but the elves tell her that they sometimes give away things to people who appreciate them.
- Take that, Sir Peter.
- The elves give Ella a pony and a bunch of supplies, saying she would reach the giants in a few days.
- But that's only if her luck holds, and we're going to guess that it doesn't.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...