Cite This Page
Emma Chapter Thirteen Summary Page 1
- The Westons host a Christmas Eve dinner to which all our friends are invited (even Mr. Woodhouse manages to leave the house for once).
- Harriet, unfortunately, comes down with a cold at the last minute and can’t make it.
- The afternoon of the party, Emma and Mr. John Knightley run into Mr. Elton on the road.
- Emma tries to persuade Mr. Elton to stay home.
- After all, with Harriet gone, why could he ever want to eat out?
- Strangely enough, he still seems excited to be going.
- Mr. John Knightley warns Emma that Mr. Elton seems to be crushing on her.
- Never fear – our heroine sees John as the ignorant man that he is. Luckily for us, Emma knows better.
- Snowclouds darken the horizon as they head towards the party. (Can anyone sense a storm brewing?)