Emma Chapter Two Summary
- We meet Mr. Weston, the former colonel who just stole Mrs. Weston from the Woodhouses (if you ask Emma’s father, that is).
- Weston’s an all-around good guy – a great soldier, a gentleman, and a property owner. Let us emphasize that again: he’s a good guy. Got it?
- As if that weren’t enough, we also meet (or at least hear of) Mr. Weston’s son, Frank Churchill. Why isn’t he Frank Weston? That’s a good question. More on that later….
- Frank’s the son of Mr. Weston’s first marriage. Frank’s been raised by a wealthy aunt, which means that Mr. Weston rarely sees him.
- Rumor has it that Frank might be returning to pay a wedding visit, however, which has the whole town a-flutter.
- Our narrator takes us back to the scene of the wedding, where Mr. Woodhouse is desperately trying to convince the entire wedding party that cake is bad for the health.
- He enlists the expert opinion of his doctor, Mr. Perry. (We recommend checking out this scene – it’s a guaranteed chuckle.)