Emma Chapter Twenty-Two Summary
- The soon-to-be-Mrs. Elton is the talk of the town. Somehow all the gossips know all her dirty little secrets, even though she hasn’t yet set foot in Highbury.
- Miss Augusta Hawkins has £10,000 to her name (let’s keep this in perspective here, folks – Emma’s got £20,000, so we could say that Mr. Elton is settling).
- Hearing about Miss Hawkins, Emma decides that she’s really no better than Harriet in anything but her pocketbook.
- Miss Hawkins is not from a good family – in fact, her only claim to fame is a newly-rich brother-in-law. (Insert universal shudder here at the thought of the nouveau riche).
- Now that Mr. Elton is back in town, Harriet starts mourning his marriage.
- OK, OK, she’s a bit sappy – but she’s got a broken heart. Give her a break!
- Emma decides that perhaps Harriet should accept an invitation from the Martins to visit them. After all, anything’s better than hearing about Mr. Elton some more!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search