Emma Chapter Twenty-Eight Summary
- All of the company gathered in the Bates house speculate on who could have given Jane such a nice piano.
- After all, a piano is a pretty major gift!
- The general consensus, that Colonel Campbell sent it to his ward, is one that Emma secretly rejects.
- Emma notices Frank smiling knowingly at her across the room.
- Perhaps he’s thinking again of Emma’s comments about Mr. Dixon?
- Jane begins to play music that came with the piano.
- Ironically, all of the music is from Ireland (where the Dixons now are).
- Emma and Frank whisper together about the potential implications of this.
- Again, Emma feels slightly bad about making so much fun of Jane, but, well…it’s fun.
- Jane plays an Irish tune.
- Frank whispers to Emma that the song is his favorite one.
- Miss Bates spots Mr. Knightley out in the road.
- She shouts out the window to him to join them.
- He seems inclined to come up for a few minutes, but when he hears that Frank is there, he rides quickly off. (Tension, anyone?)
- Miss Bates recounts the fact that Mr. Knightley sent an entire bushel of apples – in fact, his very last bushel – over to their house when he found out that Jane liked apples.
- Nothing says loving like a bucket-o-apples.
- Jane’s a little upset that Miss Bates told Mr. Knightley that they were out of apples. She doesn’t like to be dependent on anyone. Especially handsome, single men.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search