Emma Chapter Twenty-Eight Summary
- All of the company gathered in the Bates house speculate on who could have given Jane such a nice piano.
- After all, a piano is a pretty major gift!
- The general consensus, that Colonel Campbell sent it to his ward, is one that Emma secretly rejects.
- Emma notices Frank smiling knowingly at her across the room.
- Perhaps he’s thinking again of Emma’s comments about Mr. Dixon?
- Jane begins to play music that came with the piano.
- Ironically, all of the music is from Ireland (where the Dixons now are).
- Emma and Frank whisper together about the potential implications of this.
- Again, Emma feels slightly bad about making so much fun of Jane, but, well…it’s fun.
- Jane plays an Irish tune.
- Frank whispers to Emma that the song is his favorite one.
- Miss Bates spots Mr. Knightley out in the road.
- She shouts out the window to him to join them.
- He seems inclined to come up for a few minutes, but when he hears that Frank is there, he rides quickly off. (Tension, anyone?)
- Miss Bates recounts the fact that Mr. Knightley sent an entire bushel of apples – in fact, his very last bushel – over to their house when he found out that Jane liked apples.
- Nothing says loving like a bucket-o-apples.
- Jane’s a little upset that Miss Bates told Mr. Knightley that they were out of apples. She doesn’t like to be dependent on anyone. Especially handsome, single men.