Emma Chapter Fifty Summary
- Our narrator reminds us that one major obstacle to Emma’s happiness still exists: her father.
- Mr. Woodhouse would be devastated if his last daughter left him.
- Oh, yeah – and also Harriet.
- First things first: Emma writes a letter to Harriet, explaining all that’s happened.
- That’s enough to ruin her day – but luckily, Mr. Knightley shows up just as she’s getting really sad.
- And who could stay sad long with the perfect man around?
- Right after he leaves, she gets a letter from Mrs. Weston –which includes in it a letter from Frank.
- Frank’s letter explains all that’s happened ever since he met Jane.
- He also apologizes for seeming to lead Emma on – but he was convinced that she knew about Jane.
- He says lots of nice things about everyone – including Emma – and seems truly sorry.
- We know, we know – it’s a bit hard to believe him. But Emma does.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...