Emma Chapter Fifty-Two Summary
- Although Emma’s a bit unsettled by the thought of hurting Harriet, she writes to her immediately.
- In the letter, she offers to send Harriet to London to stay with Isabella.
- Apparently Harriet happens to have developed a bad tooth.
- Isabella loves doctors. It’s a match made in heaven.
- With Harriet gone, Emma can finally enjoy spending time with Mr. Knightley without feeling guilty. A little bit of distance can change everything!
- In her spare time, Emma pays a visit to Jane and the Bateses.
- As she walks up to the door, Emma remembers the horrible awkwardness of her last visit.
- Suddenly shy, she waits at the bottom of the stairs as the maid announces her name.
- This time, however, Jane comes running down to greet her.
- Emma congratulates Jane on her engagement.
- They both apologize profusely and hug each other.
- A sappy make-up scene ensues.
- Or rather, a sappy make-up scene would probably ensue.
- Unfortunately, Jane has other visitors, so this can’t happen.
- In fact, her other visitor turns out to be none other than our old friend, Mrs. Elton.
- Mrs. Elton remains as catty and superficial as ever.
- It’s so nice to know that some things never change.
- Mrs. Elton is pretty sure that Emma doesn’t know anything about the engagement – and so she proceeds to do a lot of loud whispering behind one hand. It’s pretty funny to all concerned.
- Even Jane has trouble hiding her laughter.
- Emma and Jane part as friends.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...